Monday, June 23, 2008

Tune Into 70s TV!

DVDs Bring Back Shows We've Missed

Every night after work I do the same thing you do: spend 35 minutes flipping up and down through all of my TV channels looking for something to watch. I spend more time looking than actually watching!

Remember growing up in the 60s and 70s when you looked forward to your favorite shows every week? You knew exactly when they were on and you simply tuned in and watched. During the commercials, you waited.

One of my favorite shows back then was–and still is–The Love Boat!




What captivated us, week after week, to curl up in front of Captain Stubing, Lovable “Gopher”, Julie McCoy Your Cruise Director, Ladies Man Doc Bricker and Isaac “Hippest Bartender On The High Seas?” Was it the deeply-woven dramatic storylines? The sizzling romances between Charo and David Hasselhoff? The vistas of exotic locales we vicariously visited while riding The Pacific Princess?

All of the above!

Season One, Volume One of The Love Boat is out on DVD and let me tell you–it’s just as much a guilty pleasure now as it was back in 1977 when it first premiered! It’s a time capsule of polyester bell bottoms, bouncy feathered hair and giggly double entendres! The background music alone is worth the price! As a young girl, I dreamed of wearing a string bikini and smearing cocoa butter on my tan legs as Isaac brought me mai tais. If I was lucky, Scott Baio would be on board!

Watching my Season One DVD as a grownup mom in 2008, I realize I’d now substitute sunscreen, a sundress, and Diet Coke–but I’ll let you in on a little secret: Scott Baio WAS on board in Season One and I did spaz a little bit when I saw him on the DVD! Unfortunately, the kids saw me and now I’ll never live it down.

If you liked The Love Boat, we’ve got tons more 70s shows on DVD:
Love, American Style
The Sonny & Cher DVD (highlights of the variety show)
Mike Douglas Moments & Memories
Best Of Donny And Marie DVD





And for those of you who always believed you’d make a great contestant–The Price Is Right DVD Home Version is here! Come On Down!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, Scott is waiting on The Lido Deck.

No comments: