Monday, June 9, 2008

Start Your Engines!

Summer Sun & Racing Fun
Americans love cars. From the drag races of the 1950s to the full-on phenomenon of NASCAR, it’s a hobby for some and an obsession for many.


With the gas crisis, however, many of us are opting for less sporty cars these days. While it feels great to save money and help the environment, I have to admit I miss the days when Mr. Betty’s Attic and I rode around in his souped-up 1967 Shelby GT 350 Mustang. I loved that car. The smell of the exhaust. The power of all those ponies under the hood. He had to sell it years ago, but I bought him this sweet die cast to remind him he can have another one when he retires!

In college I actually drove a classic 1968 Chevy Camaro Z28 for a few years! It had been my older brother’s, but when he went into the Army, he reluctantly let me “take care of it for him.” Oh, I took care of it, alright! I was careful never to rev it too high, but let me tell you–it felt very cool to pull up parties in that baby. As payback for his Mustang, my husband bought me a die cast of my Camaro.


We’re not tearing up the local drag strip anymore or flying down the highway with the wind in our hair (unless you count the breeze from the air conditioner), but that doesn’t stop us car folks from daydreaming about the good old days.


When summertime sizzles, my husband throws on one of his camp shirts (the Surf Woody shirt is his favorite), we corral the kids in the car, and head to a retro-style burger joint in town to sip milkshakes while car collectors parade their vintage machines for all to adore. The gleam of the chrome and smooth, pristine paint jobs are truly beautiful. And historic.


But we may have created a monster–my son now wants a 1957 Ford Skyliner (he loves the retractable roof)! Good thing we have this die cast in The Attic!


No comments: