Monday, June 30, 2008

It Went With The Wind!


June 30th, 1936: Gone With The Wind Is Published!

I’m every bit the romantic, but I cannot think of Gone With The Wind without picturing Carol Burnett in her curtain rod dress. It cracked me up as a nine year old and it cracks me up now (“I saw it in the window and I just had to have it”).

Yet it was that very TV sketch that introduced me to Margaret Mitchell’s sweeping saga which was first published on this very day, back in 1936. You can imagine my parents explaining that neither the actual book or movie contained any outfits fashioned from window treatments. I was really disappointed to learn it wasn’t even a comedy.

Some say Mitchell–who vehemently swore her novel was pure fiction–actually based most of the characters on real people. A feisty news journalist in 1920’s Georgia (think Rosalind Russell with a Southern drawl), she was an avid history buff who devoured books about the Civil War. Rumor has it, Rhett was based on real-life ne’er-do-well George Alfred Trenholm, a handsome blockade runner (high-class smuggler) from Charleston!

Once I was old enough to understand the “real” movie, I was blown away. The bombastic characters and ragged war-torn South left a deep impression. As sweet and good as Melanie was, it was hard not to side with smarmy, conniving Scarlett. But then, I’ve always been partial to firecrackers. Did you know Mitchell almost named her Pansy O’Hara? The power of editing.

Throughout the years, the book has become an old friend. Like other classics of its stature (it won the Pulitzer Prize in 1937), it sucks me in every time. So much so that a few years ago, I began collecting memorabilia from the film. There’s something about the Golden Era of Hollywood that enchants me.

I’ve got our Rhett and Scarlett Cookie Jar for my Rice Krispie Treats (not exactly a Civil War delicacy, but my kids’ favorite) and the antique-look Salt & Pepper Shaker Set (I pretend I got it from a Tara estate sale). When I need to curl up with the movie on DVD, I snuggle under my GWTW Fleece Blankie.



And for my birthday this year, my mom (also a fan) bought me the GWTW Art Deco-Style Wall Clock. It took me two weeks to pick a room to hang it in!

I suppose it’s possible to imagine a world without Gone With The Wind. But I wouldn’t want to live there!

No comments: