Monday, April 28, 2008

Old Toys Are New Again!

Sharing Memories With Our Kids

When I watch my kids play video games full of speeding cars and blaring guitars, one thought races through my head:

My childhood toys were so much friendlier!

Luckily, I live and work in a gigantic retro toy chest here at The Attic, so I decided to try a little experiment: I pulled out a few gems from my not-so-distant past and passed them on to my kids to see their reactions.

First, I hoisted over a soft cuddly Teddy Ruxpin. You remember him. He was the first doll to cause mass hysteria during the holidays, as well-adjusted lawyers, HR managers and housewives duked it out over limited supplies. And who could blame them? He TALKED! And READ YOU STORIES! His eyes moved. His mouth moved. In short, he was the coolest stuffed animal in the universe. And he still is!

Next, I challenged them to the Rubik’s Cube. In 7th grade, I once impressed a very cute 9th grader (who wore checkered Jeff Spicoli VANS) with my stealth at “The Cube” as we rode the bus home one afternoon. Unfortunately, my giant orthodontic head gear spoke louder than my mathematical skills. Kids today are lucky. Dental procedures are much easier now. They have no idea what we went through!

And finally, I presented the kids with our Pinball Money Puzzle. Although a mini version of the greatest game ever invented, it still requires dexterity, patience, and perseverance–this time, to get the tiny metal balls in the right holes to unlock money placed inside.


Heck, back in the day we played pinball for glory! As usual, in my case I was trying to win the affection of a gallant lad. His name was Scott Hoffman and he had hair just like Andy Gibb’s.

I don’t mind telling you, I was something of a pinball shark in 1981! I could keep that ball in play for hours! Okay, 1 minute max, but I was pretty good. Alas, my head gear again reared its hideous head and Scott Hoffman never got to know the sophisticated 11 year old underneath that tangled mouth of metal.

As I passed around these blasts from the past, telling my kids pitiful teen angst tales, something incredible happened–their video games sat idle as they pushed Teddy Ruxpin’s buttons and rattled around the Rubik’s Cube! My daughter tried her hand at the mini pinball and showed she has Mom’s flair for the flippers! Then they asked what it was like before electricity, and if it hurt our feet to pedal our Stone Age cars to work.

I felt the glorious bond of motherhood.
They get that sarcasm from me, you know!

No comments: