Friday, November 9, 2007

Reading Is Magic!

It’s The 50th Anniversary of The Grinch & The Golden Books Turn 65!

In a soft yellow bedroom, tucked under a fuzzy pink blanket, I fell in love with books. My mother used to read to me almost every single night. It was our special time together. Some nights it was my big book of folk tales from around the world. Other nights it might be Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky and, when I got a bit older, it was The Hound of the Baskervilles on nights when the trees knocked at my window!

But far and away, my two favorites (although from very different eras) were Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas and the wonderfully-innocent Little Golden Books! Did you know that both of these classics are celebrating very big anniversaries? The Grinch has hit 50 and Golden Books are 65!

What child can resist the vivid imagery of Dr. Seuss and his mean green villain holed-up at the top of Mt. Crumpit? My favorite line from the cartoon version was “You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch. You're a nasty, wasty skunk. Your heart is full of unwashed socks. Your soul is full of gunk.”To a 6 year-old, “gunk” is a really funny word! I fell in love with Max, his canine assistant, and I instantly understood the message at the end that “Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store?”And speaking of adorable dogs from our childhood...“The Poky Little Puppy,” anyone? Holding those tiny Little Golden Books in my hands was so exciting and my mother read me every single tale, from the aforementioned slow-moving pup to “The Tawny Scrawny Lion” to “The Shy Little Kitten.” Each story was custom-sized for budding readers with big imaginations and the adventures flew off the pages!

Happy Birthday, Grinch and Golden Books! We loved you then and we love you now! Celebrate the timeless tales and share them with the budding bookworm in your life. If you’re feeling Seussarific, we have a Grinch Figurine you won’t believe and a festive tee!

More in the mood for The Saggy Baggy Elephant and Nurse Nancy? Enjoy all the Little Golden Books in one fantastic set. And remember...when you share a love of reading, the sky’s the limit!

No comments: