Monday, July 14, 2008

Retro Summer Fun

Kids Cooped-Up? Games Ahoy!

Let’s face it–some summer days are just too hot to run around outdoors. In fact, I’ve heard weather men in several states recommend people stay in air conditioning more than a few times this season.

So how do you keep kids entertained during the long summer months without resorting to hours of TV or video games?

Enter Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots! When I dug this old pal out of The Attic, I thought for sure my hip kids would roll their eyes–but they didn’t! They grabbed those buttons and went to town, knocking each others’ blocks off. Little did they know they were enjoying a vintage toy from the 60s!





It was such a success that I tried Gnip Gnop (I was in my 30s before I realized that was “Ping Pong” spelled backwards). Back in the 70s, my cousin and I played this one a lot. It was another big hit with the kids! The family room rang out with ball-flying, button-smashing action!






Jumping decades, we broke out the Betty’s Attic tabletop version of Space Invaders. In the 80s, my friends and I rode our bikes to the video arcade every day after school to wield joysticks and obliterate aliens. It was awesome, dude! Totally awesome!





Finally, the kids took a break with some ice-cold drinks I served in our brand-new Kool-Aid Drink Set. I couldn’t help it–when I saw the familiar face of Kool-Aid Man (who got his name back in 1975), I screamed “Oh Yeahhh!” just like the commercials I grew up with.



And that’s when my kids decided “playtime with Mom” was over.

No comments: