Monday, March 3, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ball Game!

The Season Is Almost Upon Us!

A funny thing happened in Boston...

Last October, your Aunt Betty planned a glorious 4-day getaway to Beantown. I’d never been and had long dreamed of wandering along cobblestone streets as bright orange, yellow and brown leaves hushed and shuffled under my shoes.

What I didn’t plan on was turning into a baseball nut.

Growing up, I was not what you’d call “athletic.” To be precise, I was that girl in P.E. class who ran–often screaming–from whatever ball was in play. In fact, I once ran from a volleyball with such gusto that I plowed into my gym coach, toppling him to the ground. We rolled across the grass like a human pretzel for about 5 feet, coming to a stop in front of my stunned classmates.

So the idea of being in Boston for The World Series was...how shall I put this? Not important.

And then I watched Game 3.

It was Saturday, October 27th. The Sox were set to play The Rockies in Colorado and the entire city of Boston was on pins and needles. I'd never seen anything like it! I knew the long and loyal tradition around the team, but to experience it first-hand was truly magical. Everyone I ran into was talking about it!

Snug in my hotel bed with some room service snacks, I watched Game 3 and in those four or so hours, I “got” it: I got why baseball has been America’s pastime for over a century. The superhuman dedication and drive by players like Ramirez, Lowell, Ellsbury and Pedroia was astounding. I was hooked. I planned my dinner reservation that night in a restaurant where there’d be a big screen TV showing Game 4.

As you now know, we won. That’s right–“we.” I came back to Florida with 2 shopping bags full of Sox mementos and a brand new love. For the girl who once scored a basketball goal for the opposite team, this was huge!

Spring Training is in swing and if I listen really hard, I can hear the crack of the bat!

To get all of us into a springtime mood, I’ve selected my favorite Attic baseball items. Check out the Opening Day Stadium Baseball in its own display case, honoring Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field; our Baseball Hall Of Fame Card Set featuring Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Joe DiMaggio and more; the beloved Harry Caray Book With accompanying CD capturing the legend’s fun and fervor for the sport; and–for long car trips to the game, the Baseball Pinball Game, a mini-sized arcade treat shaped like a baseball field!

And get ready...because that first regular season pitch is coming...!

No comments: