Wednesday, January 9, 2008

“Miss Scarlett! Miss Scarlett!”

Jan. 7th, 1911—Thelma “Butterfly” McQueen Was Born In Tampa, Florida

Fans of Gone With The Wind know there’s one character who steals every scene she’s in: Scarlett O’Hara’s high-strung, slightly-hysterical maid, Prissy. Butterfly McQueen’s endearing performance added light moments to Margaret Mitchell’s tumultuous Civil War saga. Who can forget the scene where Prissy shrieked "Oh, Miss Scarlett, I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' babies!”

Sadly, Mc Queen wasn't allowed to attend the gala Hollywood premiere of the film back in 1939 because it was being held in a “whites only” theater. As hard as that is to imagine now, it was that pervasive segregation and racism in mainstream culture which eventually led to McQueen retreating from the acting biz years before her passing in 1995. Her work in Gone With The Wind will forever be her legacy. No matter how many times I watch it, I’m mesmerized by the stunning costumes (although, I admit, I sometimes think about the Carol Burnett Show spoof with the curtain rod dress-- “I saw it in the window and I had to have it”).

Treat yourself to a little Old South indulgence with our sparkling array of GWTW mementos including the ultimate in domestic glamour, the ceramic Rhett And Scarlett Cookie Jar! Just imagine the endless one-liners: “Frankly, my dear, I'm snagging the last Rice Krispie Treat,” etc.
We also have a beautiful Anniversary Style Clock, Salt And Pepper Shakers, a comfy soft Fleece Throw and more! And the next time you journey back with Clark and Vivien, don’t take your eyes off of Butterfly McQueen. She created one of the most memorable characters in cinematic history.

No comments: